Going on a vacation?
There comes a time when you need to put your car away for an extended period of time. Maybe you’re going out of town for a while, or maybe your vehicle has suffered damage that renders it undrivable.
Until such a time as you can get your car down to our auto body shop in Seattle, take the following precautions to preserve your inert vehicle:
- Wash and wax your finish.
- Fill your tank. The less surface area that is available inside your tank, the less condensation will be gathering. This prevents rust and break-down.
- Put a 4-mil polyethylene drop cloth on the floor of your garage to act as a vapor barrier.
- Don’t apply your parking brake if you don’t need to. This will prevent unnecessary corrosion.
- Use jack stands to take the vehicle’s weight off of your wheels. This will help your tires last for a longer time.
- Disconnect your car battery and put it on a trickle-type charger. This will keep it from draining while in storage.
- Plug your tailpipe with a rag. This will keep moisture out, guarding your car against rust.